The Affair Ball 2019
August 31 @ 5:00 pm - September 1 @ 12:00 am EDT
Atlanta Mother Miss Lawrence Balenciaga
Overall Father Yusef Mugler and
Founding Father Pampers Tisci
THE AFFAIR 2019
Legacies: Yesterday, Today, Forevermore!
Labor Day Weekend
Saturday August 31, 2019
Tables go on sale May 1, at 3pm:
ON STAGE VIP with Dressing space $1000
Premium Runway Tables $500
Primary Runway Tables $400
Second Row Tables $300
Grand Prizes and Mini-Grands:
$3000 Legendary Face with an Understudy (any gender combination).
Legends live forever and moments never die!
Charm is deceiving and beauty is fleeting, but if you are blessed enough, you are able to create moments etched into the minds of those that witnessed your beauty, for a lifetime. The purpose of the ballroom understudy, isn’t to create a miniature version of yourself or to live vicariously through the youth. The purpose is to build upon a legacy and to pass on the secrets to creating memorable magic on the ballroom floor. Tonight, the Legend is challenged with presenting the Ultimate Understudy. For the Legend, bring us a look that speaks to your legendary status and in your Understudy create your Ultimate Rival. Legend, be sure you have taught your Understudy the Art of Selling, because the Ultimate showdown will be the battle of the Understudies. If your Understudy is demolished by an Understudy the Legend will have a chance to battle for team redemption.
Remember this is for $3000.00 and you are a legend so we should feel your presence when you and your understudy enter the room…Period!
$2000 OTA Classic vs. Contemporary Best Dressed
When it comes to being best dressed, many will argue that tried and true classic suits and gowns with impeccable tailoring are a sure fire win, others argue that times have changed and those looks are a thing of the past, and fashion forward looks is “where its at”. Well tonight, we give you the opportunity to choose. In a Contemporary vs. Classic show down. who will take the crown. The winner from classic will win $500, the winner of contemporary will win $500. and the two will have a heads up battle for and additional $1000!!!
Is Runway the Stride and Strut? Is Runway the Effect? Well, tonight we want to see both. In the ultimate Runway Showdown, only the walker with the whole package will take on the Grand Prize. This category is a two part category. In order to get a callback and make it to the battle zone, you must get your tens in a clean go-see look. The Affair Agency wants to see your body silhouette, the sway in your hips, the string in your step and the poise in your shoulders. Fortunate enough to get your tens and receive a callback? Return with a show stopping effect and prepare to battle down but beware, an unworthy effect can still get you the hiyah. Since the category is OTA, be ready to battle all genders, there will be no easy path to the final battle zone tonight.
• All American
• Female Figure
• Big Boy
$1000 House that wins the most Realness categories:
Mama Can’t Tell, Papa Can’t Tell! It’s been argues that Realness is more than a category, it’s a lifestyle. Is that true? Or can it be both? The Affair Agency wants you to recreate and own a beloved character from cinema’s past. Will stepping out of your “lifestyle” and into a character compromise your realness? Each gender will battle their respective gender and the House with the Most Trophies will walk away the Ultimate Realness Lifestyle and Category House for $1000.00
• Schoolboy – The Blerd: In honor of Black Television’s beloved black nerds, tonight recreate one of the following on screen blerds and don’t forget a recognizable prop of the character that you are recreating: Steve Urkel, Dwayne Wayne, Carlton Banks, Geordi LaForge
• Prettyboy – The Handsome Doppleganger: The television blerd often wanted to be an attractive and cooler version of themselves, and over the years television has made that happen in one way or another. Be it a long lost twin, a cousin, or a transformation machine, Handsome always finds a way. Tonight, create a handsome version of one of the four Schoolboy blerds and don’t forget a recognizable prop of the character you are creating: Steve Urkel, Dwayne Wayne, Carlton Banks, Geordi LaForge
• Thug ( Edit)– International Realness: There are “Hoods” and Ghettos all around the world. From the Favelas of Brazil to Brixton in south London. From Suzuki’s in Tokyo to Auckland, New Zealand. Is your realness “Domestic”? Are you only real in the Marcey Projects, Watts, The Wild 100’s, or Bankhead? Or are you EVERYWHERE COMFORTABLY? Bring a look from any country outside of the United States.
• Executive – The Working Father: Cinema has rarely portrayed black men in powerful executive roles, but they have created some beloved hard working fathers. In continuing with the tradition, the Affair Agency wants you to embody Black America’s Working TV Dad. Recreate a 2019 version of one of the following fathers for his first day of work after a corporate promotion: George Jefferson, Cliff Huxtable, Carl Winslow, Phillip Banks, James Evans Sr.
• Everyday – Television’s Own Reflection: At some point in our lives we have all identified with a character portrayed on television. Tonight, we want you to recreate a black male character that you have identified with. But here is the challenge, the character you recreate must be recognizable, how you ensure that is up to you. If you aren’t recognizable you will be chopped faster than a 6 episode sitcom. In honor of being every day, the character should be one that could easily be placed into a sitcom today and blend in with the rest of the cast.
• Drags – Emasculating the Black Man: We hear the narrative frequently, television has an agenda to emasculate the black man. Well, let’s assume for a moment that is true and you just love that idea. Your challenge tonight is to emasculate the black man. You must get your tens as your ButchQueen self in a wife beater, no baseball cap and no durag. Then return as a black comedic drags character but as her everyday realness self. Laughs and Giggles not required.
• Transman – The Typecast: Television often creates characters so real that the actors that portray them become typecast. No matter what they do, escaping the character they transitioned into can be a tough task to tackle, but you’re up for the challenge right? Tonight, bring it like a type casted black character that is easily recongnizable, examples include but aren’t limited to: Will Smith as the Fresh Prince, Morgan Freeman as God/Wise Old Man, Jaleel Whyte as Stever Urkle, Glenn Plummer as the Thug, Samuel L. Jackson as the Baddass.
• Fem Queen/ Transwoman – The Powerful Black Woman: Television is responsible for creating some powerful loved and feared black women characters over the years. The actresses transform themselves into black women that we have grown to love and respect, and had they existed in real life, would fear. Your challenge tonight, bring one of these television powerful black female characters to life and don’t forget that is should be obvious who you are recreating: Miranda Bailey, Olivia Pope, Cookie Lyon, Annalise Keating, Rainbow Johnson, Aunt Viv, Michonne.
Tonight we take it back to the basics and if you are able to meet the challenge, the rest of your performance is up to you, make it magic and make it ova. Before there were death defying dips, Tasmanian Devil 360 spins, and wall climbing acrobatics, there were the elements. We all have heard of them, but the question is, are you able to execute them? Tonight, you will be responsible for cleanly executing one of the elements (unless otherwise states) chosen as random for your tens. Once you have received your tens and made it to the battle zone, the rest of the performance is up to you, but be warned, the elements of choice lean heavily towards hands, catwalk, and floor performance.
Your are a BUTCH-QUEEN voguing fem, so tonight leave the DRAG for the DRAGS, no wigs, no heels, no thigh high boots. The puss is in your performance, not in your attire.
$500 Realness with a Twist:
Boys on the block can get down with the boogie down too. Tonight, with the look of a corner street hustler, lets’ leave the TWIST for your performance and keep the REALNESS for you look.
$250 Drags: “When a gay man has way too much fashion sense for one gender, he is a drag queen.” In the words of Noxeema Jackson, tonight you have way to much fashion sense for one gender.
$250 Fem-Queen: Whether it’s the sexy performance of a black Jessica Rabbit, the acrobatics of Gabby Douglass, or somewhere in between, your performance must be captivating and befitting of a Queen.
$250 Woman’s: You’ve watched as your favorite Fem-Queens, Butch Queens, and Drag Queens have emoted and “left it all on the floor.” For your tens, the element you are chosen to perform should be in honor of your fav. If it isn’t obvious who you are invoking, you will be asked, don’t gag!
$250 Legendary: You are a master of the elements, seen as the best of the best, and the Ultimate Story Teller through body in motion. Your challenge for tens is not only one element, but three: hands, catwalk, and floor performance. Will the story you tell be a best seller or shopped off to the bargain bin?
Old Way vs New Way: Pose, Pose, Pose. What is Old Way or New Way without a litany of poses? You will bypass performing and element for you tens and instead give Pose, Pose, and more Pose. Execute, Land, and Hold two classic poses that your category is known for and introduce one of your own.
Beauty is the moment when time vanishes and the space where eternity arises. Your change is the pursuit of timeless beauty and to be declared “the most beautiful face of ballroom.” Do you have what it takes to stop time and create a moment that lasts for an eternity? In a look of class and sophistication (unless otherwise stated), make it obvious why you were invited to mingle with the beauties of ballroom at the Affair.
• ButchQueen – Wearing a partially opened button-down, a chic trouser, and a shoe that demands the attention of any well-dressed man, captivate the ballroom as the Affair’s next “Sexiest Man Alive”
• Fem Queen/ Trans-woman- Tonight, we want to see the beauty without all the distraction, leave the beaded gowns and extravagant headpieces, but still present a look worthy of the Affair by bringing the Undeniable “Pretty Girl Next Door.”
• Drag Queen – Tonight, we want DRAG’S FACE, not Drag’s Realness with a touch of face. Bring back the Art of the Drags Face showgirl. PAINT, PAINT, PAINT
• Big Girls – Every beauty isn’t a size 2. With the poise and confidence of Plus-Size models like Liris Crosse, Devorah Story, Monique Robinson, and Nedra Phillips, show us why a beautiful full figured woman wearing a dress that hugs her curves is here to stay.
• Face Over 40 – They say beauty fades, but every age can be enchanting, provided you embrace and live within it. Show us why time, beauty, life, great genetics, and a tried and true face regimen is not to be underestimated.
• Woman’s Face – The Thriller not the Filler. In a look of your choice, wake the building up with your beauty and show us why womans face is not a ”bathroom break” category.
$250 Foot and Eyewear OTA : The Ultimate Accessories, they say the accessories can totally make the look if you have the right pieces, let’s put it to the test, in a ALL grey look bring us show stopping eyewear and footwear that let’s any onlooker know that even wearing grey, this is on rich bitçh. Here’s where it gets messy, we’ve seen enough knock-offs in the last few months, so tonight YOUR PIECES WILL BE CHECKED! and if you’ve EVER had your pieces questions this is the time to Shut the girls up.
* your clothes have to be grey but your foot & eyewear doesn’t have to be.
Streetwear : At one time the lines between High fashion and Urban Streetwear because the streets today say mix it up and make it yours. So tonight we want to see a mixture of high fashion and urban streetwear, but don’t get caught slipping, more than just your accessories should be high fashion.
We’ve heard your battle cry to separate from the current trend of lumping body and sex siren. So tonight you get your wish, with your face concealed and the rest of the look up to you, show us why body and only body should be the only thing that gets you thru. Be sure that the look is flattering on your body and not just in your head. KEY: Model your body, not sell Sex! Flex and Pose not Hip roll and Shake.
$250 Sex Siren
Sex is as Sexy Does. In a removable/tear away burlesque look, embody and seduce by removing garments as you make your way to the panel. KEY: For the battles SELL SEX! because chops will still be in effect if you don’t.